There is a huge elephant in our lecture rooms, and it seems like most people choose not to notice. The cost of further education is rising, and what is learned seems less and less relevant and useful for creating a sustainable and fulfilling livelihood. Education needs a rethink. Edventure Frome is one of many exciting prototypes that are doing education differently…Read More
Anyone interested is welcome to come join our saturday the 14ht Open Day in Frome, to meet the people involved, help co-design the programme and get a taste for what the year will be like. If you are consideraing joining us please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of the day
1pm – Lunch (provided by edventure: Frome)
2pm – A collaborative learning challenge
5 – 6.30pm – Co-design session (join us via skyp if you can’t make it)
We will be cooking together in the evening, and head out into town for the last night of the Frome Festival!!!!
(very basic accomodation can be provided for those having to travel to Frome – just let us know!)Read More
PRESS RELEASE – 04.07.2012
edventure: Frome is a new local opportunity for adults (+20) who
- are looking to make a change – in their own lives and their community.
- and want to make a living by doing something positive.
Our 10 month, full-time programme is launching this September. The aim is for people to learn and prepare for doing what they really want to do, while supporting Frome in becoming an even better place to live..
What and how people learn
There are two parts to the programme:
(1) People get support in directing their own learning and development. For example, the programme works with the wider Frome community to enable people to get a part-time apprenticeship or work-experience, start a business or project, do research, learn a skill, or get a formal qualification.
(2) People gain transferable skills, earn money, and contribute positively to Frome through a series of practical assignments. For example, the team solves a problem for a local business or the Town Council, or converts a underutilised building into a financially sustainable community hub.
In essence, the programme is free. People are asked to fundraise a minimum of £1000 that goes towards a communal food budget and investment fund they can administer during the programme.
edventure: Frome will be a Community Interest Company and is already working in partnership with various local organisations, including: Frome Fit for the Future – Communities Living Sustainably, Frome Community Education, Mendip YMCA, Frome Foyer, Frome Town Council, The Cheese and Grain, Frome TV, & Forward Space / Old Church School. The Directors – Johannes Moeller and Temujen Gunawardena – have a envisaged and run courses like this before. They both live in Frome, and are themselves under 30.
Opportunities to Get Involved
Open Day, 14th July, 1pm – 9pm. For people who may want to participate on the programme. Adults any age are invited, and asked to be in touch beforehand to arrange an informal chat (Contact: Temujen Gunawardena: 07892679391 or email@example.com).
Co-design Day, July 25th, 7.30-9pm, Sun Street Chapel. For Anyone interested. The day is about exploring how edventure: Frome can best benefit the town, and how as community members, you can support other (young) adults to create a meaningful livelihood that also makes a positive contribution to the community. (Contact: Johannes Moeller: 077 067 616 22 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
edventure: Frome is also looking for people and businesses in Frome to
- Provide mentoring, teaching, apprenticeship placements and work-experience,
- set the people on the programme team paid assignments and challenges,
- Offer a room for a participant for work-exchange.