The Government’s new ‘Kickstart Scheme’ (in response to Covid-19) gives businesses 100% funding to provide paid job placements to young people, and we can help you access it. As an official partner in the Kickstart scheme, we can apply on behalf of local organisations, deliver the mandatory training and provide support for employers. As we want to contribute to a greener, fairer and more sustainable future for our local economy, we can support placements in the green / sustainable / community sector, as well as other businesses who will offer young people the opportunity to work on a sustainability project within the organisation.
Supporting local business, young adults & sustainability in/around Frome
Businesses Get Full Grants. Young People Get Paid Employment. Frome's economy Gets More sustainable.
Employers: Join Us!
We are a pioneering group of employers are coming together to create a more sustainable future for Frome. Together, we are supporting young people who have been disproportionally affected by the pandemic as well as adding the energy of new, young staff members to our organisations.
- A young person (16-24 yrs) working in your company fully-funded for 6 months paid at the National Living Wage (top-up to Living Wage is recommended) for 25 hours a week. (You can increase hours and wages).
- A specially designed weekly training course for your employee provided by us, Edventure: Frome, an award-winning School for Community Enterprise.
- A budget for in-house training and support.
- Training for your organisation including advice on how to recruit, induct & support young people to reach their full potential in the placement.
- 1-2-1 support to address any issues that may arise.
- The ability to fill the placement with a new candidate once the first finishes.
Kickstart: Frome Placements currently live at Frome Job Centre
We are adding new placements all the time, please follow us on social media @edventurefrome for updates. Employers, please get in touch to create a placement. Young people, to apply for a placement please speak to the Job Centre in the Kingsway Precinct. (Please do not contact the companies direct). We can support you with CVs, job applications & interview skills – book a free, 1-2-1, online session with us here.
Employers, We will support you every step of the way with:
- a specially designed, weekly training programme for the young person. 26 2-hour sessions over the course of 6 months.
- optional training for your organisation on the transferable skills required to successfully onboard & support new employees.
- a series of coaching sessions for your organisation held by an experienced facilitator.
- dedicated 1-2-1 support to help resolve any issues that may arise.
- the opportunity to join a pioneering group of local, like-minded companies working to create a more sustainable future for Frome.
- someone to manage the application and paperwork on your behalf – you don’t have to deal with the DWP and try to make sense of it all. We’ve done that already!
- ongoing support for the young person to find a job once the placement finishes.
YOUNG PEOPLE: what you'll get
The Kickstart: Frome project is creating 6-month job placements within organisations that make a real difference in our local area. You’ll have paid work in a green/community organisation locally. You’ll also become part of a cohort of young adults in/around Frome with an interest in green/community issues. Together, you’ll participate in weekly Edventure training sessions specially devised to offer practical support to increase your long-term chances of employment, to provide an environment for action learning and reflection, and to deepen your knowledge of sustainability issues and the green sector. Our intention is to support you to build a livelihood that matters to you.
Placements are open to people aged 16-24 who live in Frome or Mendip. You will need to be on Universal Credit when applying, and applications must be via the Job Centre. Please do not contact the organisations or Edventure direct because the scheme specifies that all applications must come via the Job Centre.
We are able to support you to make a CV/practise your interview skills/complete an application form at our weekly Edventure: Routes sessions. To book a free session, SMS/WhatsApp/Call: 07434 667373 or email [email protected]
- Kickstart positions are open to 16-24 year olds.
- You must be on Universal Credit at the time of applying.
- Applications must be via the JobCenter in Kingsway Precinct.
- Please do not contact the organisations direct.
- Edventure can offer free support to create a CV/complete an application/practice your interview skills.
What kinds of Jobs are eligible?
The job placements created with Kickstart funding must be new jobs. They must not:
- Replace existing or planned vacancies
- Cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment
The roles offered must be:
- A minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months. Employers are encouraged to pay for additional hours if possible.
- Paid at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group (£8.20 ph for 21 to 24 year olds; £6.45 ph for 18-20 year olds, and £4.55 ph for under 18 year olds.
- Should not require people to undertake extensive training before they begin the job placement.
How much will companies be paid?
Companies will receive two types of payments:
- Companies will receive a grant of £1500 for training and support per placement. Of this, employers will receive £920 for in-house training and induction costs, and Edventure will charge £580 to provide the training for the young person on the placement, and the support programme for employers. The payment will come through shortly after the young person received their first PAYE payment.
- Companies will be paid all salary costs in arrears on a monthly basis and sufficient cash flow needs to be assured in order to pay wages in advance. Wages must be paid PAYE. The grant is for 25 hours per week only, paid at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group (£8.20 ph for 21 to 24 year olds; £6.45 ph for 18-20 year olds, and £4.55 ph for under 18 year olds. You cannot employ the young person for less then 25 hours/week. If you employ the young person for more hours, and /or at a higher wage, you will not be reimbursed for these costs.
Who can apply to join this partnership?
- Registered companies or charities in the UK.
- Frome and Mendip based companies committed to sustainability.
- Paying the young people through PAYE is a requirement.
Which young people can apply?
- The Job Centre Plus will suggest your placement(s) to candidates on Universal Credit, who will then apply to you. You can select candidates as you normally would in your business, based on the job and person specification you have provided.
- If you have an unemployed young person (16-24 years old) in mind to take your position, they must first sign up to Universal Credit before being able to apply.
- Young people need to be able to travel to your location and can receive help from the JobCentre to enable them to travel to work.
- Young people on Universal Credit are not required to apply to you and won’t face any sanctions, which means that candidates will genuinely be interested to work with the employer.
What will be included in the training programme for young people?
We recognise that it can be quite challenging for small employers to coordinate a training and support programme for young people themselves. That is why Edventure is providing a training and support programme specifically designed to meet the requirements of the Kickstart Scheme In addition, the programme focuses on building skills relevant to the green business & community sector and providing an environment for action learning and reflection. Edventure will run weekly sessions which will include:
- support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
- support with CV and interview preparations
- supporting the participant with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork.
- Green business and community sector knowledge
- Personal skills, including communication, conflict resolution and reflective learning.
How to apply or find out more?
- Employers interested in becoming part of this, please contact Edventure: Frome CIC on [email protected].
- In order to apply, you will need to complete a job description, person specification, also including a description of your business and why you are interested to offer a placement to a young person. We can support you with this.
- This is a temporary Government scheme so please apply ASAP.
- Applications are rolling.
- Employers who wish to make an independent application or work with a different representative can find more information here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/kickstart-scheme